Mee picks up 300th career win

Rachel Nearhoof

Senior Deion Tansel prepares his swing against Dayton while sophomore Dalton Bollinger looks on in the batters box.

Justice Sunderland, Sports Reporter

The Toledo baseball team traveled to Mount Pleasant for a weekend series against Central Michigan. UT dropped the first two games 14-2 and 1-0 before getting a win on Sunday 4-3.
After the series the Rockets stand at 9-31-1 and 4-8 in Mid-American Conference games.
Central Michigan came out swinging hot bats in the first game, scoring 12 runs in the first three innings. UT couldn’t make up that deficit.
Junior LHP Steven Calhoun was handed the loss allowing ten runs in only three innings of work. Sophomore Brad Boss had an RBI going one for four at the plate. Junior Jake Krupar and senior Deion Tansel each scored for the Rockets.

The Chippewas got things going in the bottom of the first when sophomore Daniel Jipping hit an RBI double down the line. Calhoun later hit a batter with the bases loaded, allowing another run to score.
They capped off the five hit, six run inning with two RBI singles from sophomore Colton Bradley and junior Robert Greenman. Jipping struck again in the bottom of the second with a solo homerun to straight away center field.
Central Michigan was not done yet, adding five more runs in the third. Sophomore Zach McKinstry hit a three- run triple to stretch the lead to 11-0. McKinstry later scored on a sacrifice fly.
UT only managed two base runners through the first four innings but scored their first run in the top of the fifth on a bases-loaded walk. The Rockets trailed 12-1 after five innings.
The scoring did not stop for the Chippewas as they plated two more runs in the bottom of seventh.
Toledo added an unearned run in the eighth inning when Tansel scored from first on a bad throw from the outfield.
On Saturday the Rockets looked to bounce back but fell short in a much more competitive game.
Senior LHP Ross Achter was given the loss despite allowing only an unearned run on eight hits in 6.2 innings. His counterpart Nick Deeg pitched a complete game while shutting out UT.
Five different Rockets recorded a hit but they were unable to get one across the plate. Sophomore Matt Hansen had the only extra base hit.
It didn’t take long for Central Michigan to score the lone run of the game as freshman Daniel Robinson singled home a run in the bottom of the first inning.
The Chippewas were threating again in the bottom of the second with runners on first and second until junior Alex Borglin grounded out to end the inning.
Toledo left a runner on base in the third, fourth and fifth innings.
In the top of the ninth, UT tried to extend the game as sophomore Dalton Bollinger singled to right field after fouling off five straight pitches.
After a walk, junior Cory Tipton came on to pinch hit but he flew to center field on the second pitch of the at bat to end the game.
Head coach Cory Mee picked up his 300th career victory on Sunday in a thriller.
Junior RHP Sam Shutes got the start for Toledo. He went four innings allowing only a single run. Freshman LHP Michael Jacob and senior John Martilotta appeared in relief for the Rockets.
Jacob earned the win and Martilotta notched the save, a career-first for both.
Toledo’s offense was led by Bollinger who had the lone RBI. Martilotta recorded the only extra base hit going 2-4 on the day. Senior Lucas Sokol also earned his second multi-hit game of the season.
In the top of the first UT tried to make up for not scoring the day before, rattling off three runs on only one hit.
Senior Cory Finkler scored the first run on a throwing error, then Tansel scored from third base on a wild pitch. UT capitalized on several errors in the inning.
Central Michigan was on the board in the bottom of the fourth when Jipping smashed a double down the line scoring McKinstry from first base.
They added another run in the fifth when Borglin hit his own RBI double. Toledo lead 3-2 after five innings.
Tansel scored the Rockets fourth run of the game on a throwing error by the Central Michigan pitcher in the top of the seventh.
After an RBI single in the eighth, the Chippewas attempted to tie the game in ninth. Borglin hit a two- out single to put the tying run on base. But McKinstry grounded out to second base to end the game and the Rockets’ five-game losing streak.
UT returns to the diamond Wednesday, April 27 as they Travel to take on Michigan State. First pitch is slated for 3:05 p.m.