Rocket women defeat Detroit 79-70 in first round of Toledo Invite

Marcus Dodson

The University of Toledo women’s basketball team defeated Detroit tonight 79-70 in front of a loud Savage Arena crowd to signal the end of the first round of the second-annual Toledo Invite.

Detroit took an early lead while Toledo struggled with shooting. The Rockets started the game off 0-6 from the field, but senior guard Andola Dortch ended the drought with a fast break layup.

Midway through the first half, the Rockets found themselves down by six and unable to find the bottom of the net. Toledo was only shooting 26% from the field at the time and 10% from beyond the three point arch.

Detroit was unable to grab a big lead during the shooting drought due to six forced turnovers by UT.

With five minutes left in the first half the Rockets took their first lead of the game with a big time three coming from Dortch. Toledo went ahead 24-21 and didn’t look back the rest of the first half.

Dortch then forced a steal and led junior forward Inma Zanoguera for a fast break layup.

“I truly believe this was the game changing moment of this game.” said head coach Tricia Cullop. “Great players know when to step up in a big time situation and have the confidence that every shot they take is going to fall in.”

The Rockets finished the first half with a solid 41-29 lead and shooting 39% from the field but only 23% from three-point land.

Zanoguera went into the half with 13 points, 9 rebounds and 4 steals. Dortch went to the locker room with 9 points, 6 assists and 3 steals and freshman Lindsey Baker gave the Rockets a spark off the bench in her first collegiate game.

Toledo continued their scoring at the start of the second half with a three from freshman forward Janice Monakana.

Monakana only played eight minutes in the game.

Detroit would fight to cut the lead with help from their 5-7 senior guard Senee Shearer. Shearer racked up 24 points before fouling out with 3:18 left in the game.

Toledo had trouble stopping Shearer all night. The forward hit a three deep on the wing to make it a five point game at 67-62.

After a timeout, Zanoguera found baker in the corner for three, and, during the next Detroit possession, a Crosby turnover led to another three from the freshmen.

Baker ended the night with 12 points.

“During the timeout coach told me you’re going to be open and you can make it, then my teammates looked at me and told me the same thing,” Baker said. “I had the confidence I needed to make the plays.”  

The deficit became too great for the Titans and their comeback hopes fell short. The Rockets finished the night with six players in double figures.

Zanoguera led all scorers with 18 points. She also had 11 rebounds and 5 steals. Dortch led the team with 11 assist and ended the night with 12 points.

“I give Detroit a lot of credit and respect,” Cullops said. “No matter how far they were down they always kept fighting.

“We needed a game like this.”

The Rockets return to Savage Arena tomorrow at 4:30 p.m. to host the Valparaiso Crusaders.