Candidates for Student Government presidential race to apply by March 5

Amanda Pitrof

Elections for Student Government will take place April 7 through April 10.

Completed packets of paperwork can be found online and in the Student Government office and must be turned in by March 13.

Candidates for SG must gather 20 student signatures to run for senate, and 200 to run for president.

Although there were no major changes to the Student Government election board manual this year, board chair Kaitlyn Filzer said there is one change that candidates should be aware of.

Filzer said that this year, candidates for president must have one and a half years of cumulative SG experience with the person running for vice president.

Last year, students running for the position were required to have only one year of experience between the president and vice president combined. The change was proposed by Emily Kramp and Lauren Jencen, the current president and vice president, who said the extra experience would help the new officers.

Any campaign material candidates wish to distribute must be approved by the election board first, but Filzer said interested students can send in material now if they wish. However, she said most students usually wait until after they declare.

Referendums may also be written and turned in up until March 13. This type of student-written legislation requires 200 student signatures.

“If any students have an issue they would like to go to the administration with, they can write a referendum and have it voted on by the student body as a whole,” Filzer said.

Filzer said those looking for more information about election procedures can send an email to [email protected] or call 419-217-7276.