Sorority donates to eating disorder group

Amanda Pitrof

Money is currently being raised by a local sorority to help fight eating disorders.

Delta Phi Epsilon raised about $300 during National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD) week Feb. 24-28, and they are still collecting money until March 23. The sorority will then donate the funds to ANAD.org.

During awareness week, the group had a table in the Student Union and hosted different activities such as throwing insecurities into trash cans, writing things they love about themselves on a board and a small candlelight vigil where students could talk about their experiences with eating disorders.

Evelyn Villafana, the vice president of programming for Delta Phi Epsilon, said coming in contact with eating disorders - whether through personal experiences or through a friend or loved one - is a very common thing.

“Personally, for me, one of my best friends had bulimia in high school,” Villafana said. “It was the main reason why I joined [this sorority] and why I wanted to get involved with philanthropy and why I am now vice-president of programming.”

Statistics on nationaleatingdisorders.org show that 20 million women and 10 million men suffer from an eating disorder at some point in their life. Anorexia nervosa is the cause of death for females 15-24 years old 12 times more than any other cause for women that age, according to ANAD.org.

Those who wish to donate money to ANAD.org through Delta Phi Epsilon may do so by contacting Villafana at [email protected] or calling 260-377-9485 by March 23.