Weekly Launch

The IC sports staff counts down the top UT football stories of the week

Marcus Dodson, Sports Reporter

The University of Toledo football team is on the hunt for a MAC title, and the IC Sports staff is here to bring you all this year’s action as it happens. This is Weekly Launch, a feature counting down the top UT stories heading into each new week of the season.

Mid-American Conference Player of the Week

Rockets’ sophomore quarterback Logan Woodside has been named the Mid-American Conference West division offensive player of the week for the second time in three weeks after his performance against Central Michigan.

Woodside has been impressive as the starter since coming in for the injured Philip Ely, who went out for the season during UT’s game against Missouri.

“I’ve never looked at Woodside as the backup, always as our starter,” said head coach Matt Campbell. “Every one of his teammates and all his coaches have the utmost confidence in him and he does a really good job distributing the football for us.”

Woodside threw for a career-high 339 yards on 23-of-34 passes with a touchdown against the Chippewas. He also accounted for 43 rushing yards and two touchdowns on the ground.

Woodside is now 2-1 as the starter and Toledo is ranked first in the MAC in scoring offense (37.6) and yards per game (530.4).

“I still feel like I can continue to grow and I feel like I’m growing every day,” Woodside said. “I have to go out to practice tomorrow and work on the things I didn’t do right on Saturday.”

Woodside had previously won the award for his efforts in a 58-34 defeat at Cincinnati.

Rocket Injury Update

The status of sophomore running back Kareem Hunt has been a mystery as of late and there seems to be no clear answer in sight.

Hunt has been dealing with a foot problem since coming out of the Ball State game in the second quarter.

“We will try to get him out to practice and see where he is this week,” Campbell said. “But for us to not do a lot yesterday in practice and having the day off, there hasn’t been any update.”

Hunt isn’t the only Rocket whose status for Saturday’s game at Western Michigan remains unknown. Sophomore cornerback Jordan Martin is also questionable for the contest against the Broncos.

“We hope to get Jordan Martin back on the practice field this week,” Campbell said. “We have been slowly trying to progress him back. We hope to know more about Jordan and Kareem by Wednesday moving forward.”

Toledo will be looking to get Martin back to help a secondary ranked 12th in passing defense in the MAC.

Long Road Ahead

UT is getting ready to embark on the meat of their season, but will have to do the majority of the work on the road.

The Rockets will finish the season with five of their last seven games away from the Glass Bowl.

“It may be difficult from the sense of not being able to be on the same routine but great teams play great football anywhere and it’s our hope to be a great team.” Campbell said.

Toledo will travel to Western Michigan and then to Iowa before their week eight bye.

“It’s going to be a big game for us,” said defensive end Trent Voss. “It’s the first MAC game on the road for us, we just have to stay poise and stay under control. It’ll be exciting and a great environment for both teams.”