Robert Hearons: Men’s bench play will be the deciding factor this season

IC Photo File

RJ Hearons

Robert Hearons, Associate Sports Editor

Analyze any team that makes it to March in Division I basketball and a common theme will usually present itself.

Their hopes and dreams are never pinned on the backs of one or two offensive-minded players.

While shot volume and dribble isolation players trigger gasps and keep fans in the seats, the teams that vie for championships use a next man up philosophy.

It is a winning philosophy without doubt being incorporated into the 2014-2015 University of Toledo men’s basketball team.

Albeit an exhibition game, the Toledo bench received substantial playing time Saturday afternoon in a 101-72 route of the Findlay Oilers.

A great deal of preseason talk surrounded the amount of depth that this year’s Rockets are supposed to bring to the table, and head coach Tod Kowalczyk wasted no time showcasing it.

The bench combined to play 64 minutes on Saturday at Savage Arena, chipping in 20 points and getting after the ball on the boards with 13 combined rebounds.

Though not surprising that Kowalczyk used his bench considerably, considering it was an exhibition game, how early and often he went to the rotation showed the amount of confidence Toledo’s head coach has in the team’s depth going forward.

Ten players saw action against Findlay and nine of them played double-digit minutes.

Although the bench made an impact on Saturday, it was the starting five that fulfilled most of the offensive production. With four starters returning from last year and sophomore guard Jonathan Williams looking to help fill the void of Rian Pearson’s departure, the starting five scored in transition and from the three-point line seemingly at will.

Going forward, the Rockets need a piece or pieces that can come off the bench and provide a defensive spark, not just offensive fireworks. If one thing was lackluster on Saturday, it was the starting five’s poor defensive performance against an opponent that found its way to the basket and free throw line a few more times than it probably should have.

The Oilers took 24 free throw shots, far too many for a Division II opponent against a team looking to make the NCAA Tournament.

Whether or not it was lack of effort – or poor preparation due to overlooking an inferior opponent – Toledo’s starting five allowed Findlay to shoot 44 percent from the field.

This is where the bench is going to make their biggest impact.

Fresh, defensive minded legs that can come off the bench throughout the season provide an intangible edge. While the offense shouldn’t be the issue, the defense will need the help.

The Rockets will be at their best if healthy going into March. Staying healthy means keeping fresh legs on the floor and making sure nobody is put at higher risk for injury than need be.

A tough schedule lies ahead before conference play even begins for UT, with the Rockets traveling to Oregon, VCU and Duke this year.

Road games against top talent will surely provide a stage for the Rockets supporting cast to shine, as any hopes of an upset would surely hinge on every UT player on the court performing at their highest potential.

The aftermath of UT’s brutal non-conference schedule should leave the Rockets with a clear answer on what the role this bench will play this season.

If Toledo wants to go dancing in March, the depth spoken of so highly in the preseason is going to need to show up on the court. Fortunately, that’s what seems to be in Kowalczyk’s playbook.

Regardless of who eventually separates from the pack, what is clear is that Kowalczyk won’t lean on just one or two players to take this team into the postseason.