Vaginas steal spotlight: Women take the stage during ‘The Vagina Monologues’ to talk about shared expereinces

Courtesy Alcy Barakat

Members of last year’s ‘Vagina Monologues’ pose for a picture at the end of the event. This year’s event will be on March 27 and 28 at 7 p.m. in Driscoll Alumni Center’s Auditorium.

Joe Heidenescher, Associate Community Editor

Editor’s note: this story contains words that some readers may find offensive.

Vagina — a word usually spoken in a hushed voice or for strictly clinical purposes — is being pridefully reclaimed as University of Toledo students again perform “The Vagina Monologues.”

“The Vagina Monologues” is a compilation of interviews from dozens of women collected by Eve Ensler and first performed in 1996.

“The stories range from happy and humorous experiences to more somber experiences such as rape, assault and abuse,” said Alcy Barakat, co-director of the monologues this year and a second-year master’s student in public health.

Barakat said collecting the interviews inspired Ensler to put the monologues on stage, which are typically performed on college campuses.

Since the first performance of “The Vagina Monologues,” the V-Day Movement to end violence against women began.

For the past three years, Barakat, with the help of the university community, has held a V-Day at UT where several monologues are dramatically performed in front of audiences. Every year, new monologues and spotlights are added to the list of performances.

“This show ‘brings to center stage’ topics such as women’s health, healthy relationships, survivorship of those who have experienced sexual violence or abuse and promotes empowerment of women when speaking about and addressing issues concerning their bodies,” Barakat said.

In addition to raising awareness about women’s health issues, the monologues also provide local women like Lauren Merrell a sense of empowerment.

“Vagina is seen as a bad word, but any TV show, music video or movie can say pussy, bitch, slut and degrade women without us second-guessing it,” said Merrell, co-director at UT this year. “The difference is that in the play, women are in charge, women are talking about their experiences and women are talking about pleasure. It is no longer about objectification of women as sexual objects, but empowerment of women as sexual beings.”

According to Merrell, the purpose of the event is to give women the opportunity to talk about topics that are normally considered taboo and to “discover things about themselves.”

For example, one of the monologues in Ensler’s collection captures the shame some women feel regarding the terminology of their own genitalia.

“I come from the ‘down there’ generation,” the monologue said. “That is, those were the words-spoken rarely and in a hushed voice that the women in my family used to refer to all female genitalia, internal or external. It wasn’t that they were ignorant of terms like vagina, labia, vulva or clitoris.”

Clearly these words aren’t taboo at the UT Vagina Monologues. Rather, women are encouraged to courageously speak up about their own femininity.

Last year, students were photographed with “I support Vagina Monologues because…” signs. Some of their responses included, “Who doesn’t love vaginas?” “because it’s tight,” and “some women are not ‘allowed’ to.”

Andrea Harris, director of photography at The Independent Collegian and a two-time participating performer at the monologues, said the event is an empowering way to talk about vaginas.

“I’m putting it out there. This is how I feel and they are going to have to deal with it,” she said.

Last year, Harris performed the monologue, “My Angry Vagina” because she personally relates to many of the issues the monologue raises.

“My vagina is angry — it’s pissed off,” she said. “You want to know why? Because people are trying to shove stuff up it, stick things up it and try to make it smell like flowers. My vagina is not a flower; it’s not supposed to smell like that.”

However, Harris said that the event as a whole is more than women ranting about their vaginas.

“Basically they are informing you about what happens to women that a lot of women don’t talk about,” Harris said. “You’re not hearing a lot of people ranting, but you’re hearing personal stories from women who are brave enough to share their views.”

Besides being an outlet for feminine expression, the event also works to benefit the Toledo Chapter of the National Organization for Women (NOW), a local cause that deals with domestic violence.

“Our beneficiary for 2015 is an organization that is grassroots and works for the empowerment of women,” Barakat said.

The organization has helped fund the Steinem’s Sisters library and archive, a local non-profit library dedicated to housing women’s history.

Barakat said the event’s goal is to promote open and honest discussion about being a woman and working to reduce serious issues that women face.

“My continued hope is that audience members leave feeling moved to start conversations with their families, loved ones, partners, medical providers and others about their health and are not ashamed to speak about their intimate health and personal experiences with those that are around them and there to support them in different ways,” Barakat said.

The Vagina Monologues at UT are sponsored by the Counseling Center and the department of women’s and gender studies.

“A big focus of the monologues is reaching out to women who are survivors that have never been in a supportive or affirming environment and providing them with the campus and community resources that will allow healing and involvement for social change,” Merrell said.

The event will be held in Driscoll Alumni Center’s Auditorium on March 27 and 28 at 7 p.m. Tickets are sold at the door and cost $5 for students or $10 for the general public.

Both shows are also preceded with a community resource fair that begins at 6 p.m.

Harris said that despite the vagina conversations, men are encouraged to attend as well.

“Feminism is not just equality for women, but equality for everybody…if you believe in the equality for everybody, then you are a feminist,” Harris said.

5 Comments

• brett caton

“Vagina — a word usually spoken in a hushed voice or for strictly clinical purposes ”

Rubbish. It’s said in the same way as penis, but infinitely more often. Sometimes I think Feminists should just call themselves Vaginists and get it over with.

“The stories range from happy and humorous experiences to more somber experiences such as rape, assault and abuse”

Like the “Good Rape” one - the one you lot like to sweep under the carpet. Claiming that lesbian rape inoculates children against heterosexuality is not something we want publicly known, it would seem.

“Vagina is seen as a bad word” … like penis is. It’s talking about sex, which is generally frowned on. Nonetheless, i can expect to hear it on daytime television without anyone getting upset about it.

“any TV show, music video or movie can say coward, prick, creep and degrade men without us second-guessing it”

Oh sorry - you didn’t say that. You omitted it - because that would interfere with your victim narrative. You think only women get gendered abuse? What garbage!

Some of their responses included, “Who doesn’t love vaginas?”

Gay men, at a wild guess?

“because it’s tight”

If only!

“some women are not ‘allowed’ to.”

Really? How shocking? In the countries feminism has influence over? Name one? Describe how you are going to actually do something to change this. No? Nothing? thought so.

“My vagina is angry”

No, it literally isn’t. Your brain is in the head, and that’s the bit that does the feeling for you. Really, you feminists seem to have some form of collective brain damage.

“You’re not hearing a lot of people ranting”

Well, for one think, it’s not ‘people’, it’s women - and yes, it’s a bloody long rant by any measure.

“Besides being an outlet for feminine expression” (so long as it conforms to the current vision of Feminism)

“a local cause that deals with domestic violence”

By fighting against shelters for men, and by portraying it exclusively as a crime of men against women, despite the fact it is usually reciprocal and often female initiated. She hits him, he hits back, she calls the cops, he goes to jail. Yay, equality!…?

” works for the empowerment of feminists” (fixed that for you).

“Feminism is not just equality for women, but equality for everybody…”

No, it literally is not. For that to work, it would have to work for men, instead of against them.

It would work for gender neutral rape laws, instead of redefining rape in such a way that women who rape are hidden from FBI statistics, it certainly wouldn’t work to give immunity for them in Israel and India, and for god’s sake, how the hell can you look at the story of Erin Pizzey and decide feminism is anything but a gender supremacist form of fascism?

It claims it is for equality. Talks cheap. Feminism never DOES equality. It’s a lobby group for feminists. That’s it.

“if you believe in the equality for everybody, then you are a feminist”

In the same way if you believe in paid annual leave you are a national socialist.

This is an emotionally manipulative argument. It’s used by all sorts of religions to try and guilt and confuse people into joining. You care about the poor? You’re a Christian! You believe kids should respect their parents? You’re a Confucionist. You can’t say no. We won’t let you. Our movement is for everybody. We will force it on you regardless of consent…

[Reply]

d_caldwell0303 Reply:

Oh I’m sorry didn’t realize that we needed your opinion and approval for the event thank you for all the constructive criticism this event is amazing and an eye opening experience but you know I guess I would have to close my mind and just not care about anybody’s feelings in order to understand where you are you coming from have a problem with it being it being vagina focused DO A PENIS MONOLOGUE OR SOMETHING ranting against someone for something they took the time to out to put on for is childish and ignorant

[Reply]

brett caton Reply:

“Oh I’m sorry didn’t realize that we needed your opinion”

Did I disrupt your hugbox? Oh dear! Maybe if you stand and shriek at me like a Pod-Person?

” and approval for the event thank you for all the constructive criticism….”

You have the grasp of whitespace and punctuation of a piece of old broccoli. This is word-vomit. Take a breath, write out your thoughts with one point per line. Try it. Didn’t you ever do this at school?

You didn’t need to go to school? Just pointed to your vagina and was awarded a certificate? Fair enough.

this event is amazing and an eye opening experience but you know I guess I would have to close my mind and just not care about anybody’s feelings in order to understand where you are you coming from have a problem with it being it being vagina focused DO A PENIS MONOLOGUE OR SOMETHING ranting against someone for something they took the time to out to put on for is childish and ignorant

[Reply]

d_caldwell0303 Reply:

Awwww
    “You didn’t need to go to school? Just pointed to your vagina and was awarded a certificate? Fair enough.”
    Yes, you know as a guy that is very possible to point at my vagina.I’m a sophomore in college earning my degree
    “All i can see is a homeless hobo, high on meth and metho, reciting that in one breath, before expiring from lack of oxygen.” You can see all that from typing wow you are skilled sir but I do have to correct you I do not do any type of drugs meth,marijuana, or anything else so you are incorrect in that statement and two I am very much not homeless I have my own apartment

brett caton Reply:

“you know as a guy” - so someone who has no more authority on this topic than I possess? Can’t pull the vagina card? Good to hear.

“You can see all that from typing wow you are skilled sir”

I can certainly see the brain damage appears irreparable and I am sorry for your loss. Did they give you a choice? Castration or a pithing? Valerie Solanas would approve!

“I’m a sophomore in college earning my degree”

With no grasp of punctuation or whitespace. Huh. Gender Studies, I presume? Most degrees have SOME standards.