Students share national traditions and culture at annual International Dinner

Torrie Jadlocki, Staff Reporter

Students from around the world will reminisce their heritage from the 1950s-80s at the 39th Annual International Dinner Gala.

“People will come dressed up in their own national eras from 50’s through 80’s,” said Shagufta Sami, a second-year computer science graduate student, graduate assistant at Learning Ventures EdTech and an IC columnist. “Hopefully, we will get to travel back in time and know how nations have changed through the past eras.”

The event, which will take place on March 21 in the Student Union Auditorium, will be hosted by the International Student Association. It will run from 7-11 p.m., and doors open at 6 p.m.

“This event, every year, is one of the most awaited international events for not just international students, our organization, and the Center of International Students and programs office, but also for other local students, staff and faculty,” Sami said.

The dinner will include various activities, including performances by international students. These performances will include traditional dances and music, such as belly dances, folk performances and flamenco.

This event, every year, is one of the most awaited international events for not just international students, our organization, and the Center of International Students and programs office, but also for other local students, staff and faculty.”

— Shagufta Sami, Graduate assistant at Ventures EdTech

The guest of honor, Interim President Nagi Naganathan, will also present the audience with a speech.

According to ISA President Mohammed Albaaj, Naganathan was chosen as the guest of honor for a number of reasons, primarily because of his UT status and heritage.

“Firstly, he is the interim president and that itself makes him a preferable choice to be our honorable guest for such a huge event,” Albaaj said. “Adding to that, he is originally from India, an international personality owning his own culture and heritage. Such a person would value the importance of nationality, culture, importance of holding on to native origins and accepting difference and spreading the message of unity, peace and love.”

Sami said she thinks Naganathan understands the importance of international events and will give the gala the appreciation it deserves.

“He would truly understand the importance of having such an event at the University of Toledo,” Sami said. “He would be giving inspirational speech for international student, motivating and inspiring us. Plus he would share some of his experience of being from a different culture.”

The event is open to all students and faculty, regardless of their cultural backgrounds.

“The entire idea is to show the international side to the local, thus, we have it open to public,” Albaaj said. “Yes, both UT and public individuals may attend.”

Tickets are available at Ask Rocky in the Student Union and cost $10 for students, $15 for non-students and $5 for children under 13.

According to Sami, attendees can also reserve tables for the event. For students, the cost will be $75 and for non-students, a table will cost $100.

Sami urges anyone who want to attend to purchase tickets early.

“Tickets might be available at the doors of the event, but that’s not guaranteed as the tickets are going out in full swing,” Sami said. “We might actually run out of tickets as we have a limit to only 500 attenders for the event. This ticket is cheap, so people shouldn’t think twice because a lot is offered!”