Puppets come to life on stage

Courtesy of UT

(From left to right) UT students Emily Werner, Alexis Johnson, Won Hee Kim and alum Megan Aherne rehearse for “The Immortals” with puppets. The show opens Friday, April 10 in the UT Center for Performing Arts Center Theatre.

Joe Heidenescher, Associate Community Editor

A new stage performance written by one of the University of Toledo’s own faculty members will debut this month at Center Theatre.

The twist: most of the characters aren’t human.

“It’s life-sized puppets and it’s one of the weirdest shows that we’ve ever done,” said Gina Gass, a puppeteer in the performance.

“The Immortals” is a performance written and directed by UT professor Erica Frank and features a cast of 20 puppets. With her help and background in puppetry, students have been involved in the process of creating puppets and bringing them to life on stage for this show.

It’s life-sized puppets and it’s one of the weirdest shows that we’ve ever done.”

— Gina Gass , Puppeteer

“‘Normal’ is not a word I would use to describe this play, ever,” said Gass, a fifth-year double-majoring in theatre and communication. “It’s so different, it’s so weird … It’s kind of like a weird children’s story with a weird twist. It’s straight out of Erica’s brain, and it’s really kind of cool. She really made her story come to life.”

According to Alexis Johnson, a third-year theatre major and a puppeteer for the rabbit, “The
Immortals” is different from most department theatre productions.

“It’s definitely unlike some of our other shows; it’s more open to kids and normally we do more risky, experimental not-so-children-friendly shows,” she said. “But there are things in it, just like kids’ cartoons, that adults are also going to enjoy so it’s not like it’s strictly for kids, but it’s kind of trying to make it for everyone on some level.”

George Johnson, a first-year theatre major and puppeteer in the performance, said the show’s overall message is about global warming and that the play is based off the Great Pacific Garbage Patch in the Pacific Ocean.

Kenzie Phillips, a second-year theatre major and puppeteer in the show, said the overarching theme of the show is about how humans are hurting the planet and how nobody pays attention until it’s too late.

Alexis Johnson agreed and elaborated on the theme.

“Basically it takes you on a journey with a little girl and she’s figuring this out and seeing it for the first time,” she said. “So the main character is her and she’s seeing it [global warming] and then realizing that I have the power to change it. Basically, ‘if I can get us all to work together, we can change it and save the planet.’”

Alexis Johnson said in addition to the main plot, there are also many added variants.

“One of the characters is based on an ancient Chinese myth and she’s a moon goddess with a pet rabbit and they mix the elixir of life,” she said. “It’s really crazy.”

There is also a horse wind god, a pillow puppet and a moving island, according to George Johnson. He said he is responsible for puppeting some of the show’s characters such as paper, shoes, a meteor and waves.

According to Alexis Johnson, these non-human characters “aren’t really made into puppets, but you can puppet things and can make them alive.”

George Johnson said that when he talks to his friends about the show, they always think he’s a part of a marionette puppet show — but that’s not what “The Immortals” is.

“It’s based on Japanese Bunraku puppetry; it’s a modern take on that actually,” Alexis Johnson said.

This type of puppetry creates life-sized puppets with carved, elaborate faces and designed costumes. Alexis Johnson said she is working with Erica Frank and other students to create these Bunraku-style puppets for the performance.

“You have to carve foam and glue pieces of felt together so the joints of their arms bend,” she said. “It’s a crazy process, but in the end it all works out.”

“So much fiberglass, so many splinters,” George Johnson chimed in.

Both Phillips and Gass said that although the process takes a lot of time and patience, the finished puppets are immensely rewarding to see.

“Even though I just have a bird puppet, I feel like it has its own personality,” Phillips said. “I feel like the crows are kind of jerks … but they grow over time. I am so attached to my crow, like I’m going to marry it.”

According to Gass, this is the sort of dedication that it takes to make the puppets come to life. She said that “just throwing care to the wind” is the only way to get over the fear of looking silly on stage.

“It’s really different than a normal show where you’re acting as a character because you have to put a lot into what you are holding,” Gass said. “And whatever it is, it has to be alive all the time. It’s not just you breathing — you’re making something breathe and come alive.”

Gass said the entire performance will also be animated with 25-foot trees, “multi-peopled puppets” larger than some actors, large projections on screens, voice actors and original music compositions and choreography.

“The Immortals” opens Friday, April 10 and runs through Sunday, April 12 and again Friday, April 17 through Sunday, April 19 at Center Theatre in the UT Center for Performing Arts. Friday and Saturday performances are at 7:30 p.m. and Sundays are at 2 p.m. Tickets are $7 for students or $12 for the general public, and are available at the door.

Tickets can also be purchased in advance from the UT CPA Box Office by calling 419-530-2375 or visiting utoledo.tix.com.