Heidenescher: When religious expression turns into oppression

Joe Heidenescher, Features editor

It takes every ounce of self-restraint I have to stop myself from opening this column with an extensive list of insults, swear words and petty shots at the character of Kim Davis.

I’m not sure if I have ever been more infuriated at one person’s misguided mission to promote religious values in America — but it’s time we stop using this woman as a political platform or an easy target for our seething rage.

As many readers probably know, Davis is the Kentucky clerk who is refusing to issue marriage licenses to any couple as a protest to the Supreme Court’s ruling on marriage equality in June. As an elected county clerk, it is Davis’ job to provide licenses for couples. By refusing to do so, she was breaking the orders of countless judges; therefore, she was jailed.

As an American, as a Christian and as a feminist, I am deeply saddened by her choice, but not just because she is standing in the way of equality.

In America we are blessed with the liberty of religious expression with the protection from religious oppression.

This Davis episode has drawn mass attention to our civil liberties in this country, which I am grateful for, because if people do not vigilantly protect their freedoms, they will erode.

Here is the flaw in Davis’ fight for religious liberty: she is fighting for the right to express her Christian view at the expense of someone else’s equality, and she has thousands of supporters calling her a martyr.

As a Christian in America I realize I am already blessed with too much privilege. Christians seem to have a louder voice in American politics, and when intolerant Christians get the power and spotlight, religious expression crosses the line into religious oppression.

To me, being a Christian means following the teachings of Christ, which are messages of compassion, peace, equality, social justice and unity. I don’t see why any of these ideologies have to conflict with marriage equality.

No matter the religious or non-religious affiliation, I am going to fight against people using their “rights” as an excuse to oppress others.

This also means that I believe in the fair treatment of Kim Davis.

It’s clear to see on social media how many thousands of people are either slandering her name or promoting this woman to martyr status. She deserves neither treatment.

Regardless of how much I disagree with Davis, I do not find it right to insult her character, her appearance or her personal love life. If half of Davis’ haters were real feminists they would not be so quick to use the number of partners she has had as a slut-shaming attack on her character. And if Davis’ followers were actually aware of Christian persecution in the first century, I am sure they would be less quick to worship her as a martyr.

I think it is time for us to get over Davis. She has used her leverage to mar the liberties of many, and it is clear that we aren’t going to let that continue to happen — morally or legally.

If I were in Davis’ shoes, I would probably resign my job or find a way to reconcile work and religion that doesn’t devalue or affect the efficacy of the other — I’m sure there are Catholic divorce attorneys out there; if they can reconcile, why can’t Davis?

Joe Heidenescher is a third-year majoring in English, and he is the Features editor for The Independent Collegian.