University of Toledo’s LGBTQA History Month

Jenna Nance, Staff Reporter

The University of Toledo and Spectrum celebrate LGBTQA History Month this October with various events to help raise awareness for the community.

Because school is not in session during Pride Month, which is celebrated in June, UT and Spectrum celebrate LGBTQA History Month in October and have celebrated it during this time for about the past five years.

Throughout the month, there will be many on-campus events to increase awareness for LGBTQA History Month. Events will range from celebrations, talent shows, candlelit vigils and a keynote speech by Katharine Blaque, a blogger and YouTuber who makes videos about gender and racial equality, and more.

Spectrum hosted a “learn the facts” event in the Student Union on Oct. 1 as the kickoff event for history month. This event started with an interactive game before going into a more in-depth educational presentation about the facts and history of LGBTQA. Members were sporting rainbow flags while relaxing and learning the truth about the LGBTQA community.

Spectrum has been a group on campus since the 90s and serves as an open, affirming place for all LGBTQA students and allies.

LGBTQA is something that is so big that a lot of people don’t understand; there is a lot of ignorance within the community.”

— Ben Bethel, first-year computer science and engineering major

Jack Alferio, a third-year social work major, serves as president of Spectrum UT and said it has been an impactful experience.

“We [Spectrum] are the reason safe place training exists on campus,” Alferio said. “There is still biases and ignorance today because of lack of representation.”

Whether a student is a member of the LGBTQA community or an ally, Spectrum is open for anyone to join.

Alex Schultz, a first-year electrical engineering major, went to an event hoping to gain more knowledge about the community itself and more about Spectrum as well.

“I am definitely an ally and would like to get involved with Spectrum. I want to learn more about the community,” he said.

Schultz has friends in the community, so he said it is very special to him and he thinks it is great for something like this to be available to students.

“It’s important to get the community out there instead of being hid away like most people in this community experience,” he said.

Ben Bethel, a first-year computer science and engineering major, joined Spectrum because it is welcoming and important in the community. He has been a member for four weeks after finding Spectrum through friends.

“LGBTQA is something that is so
big that a lot of people don’t understand; there is a lot of ignorance within the community,” he said.

For more information on LGBTQA History Month events you can contact the UT Office of Multicultural Student Success at 419-530-2261. Additionally, Spectrum holds open meetings every Thursday at 8 p.m. in the Student Union.