Men’s basketball game journal: West Virginia Tech Edition

Andrea Harris/IC

Sophomore guard Jon Jon Williams (pictured above) scored a game-high 18 points and recorded his first double-double last year against Miami.

Jenna Nance, Staff Reporter

The Independent Collegian will be keeping up with the University of Toledo men’s basketball team all season as they look to capture yet another Mid-American Conference Title.

Keys to the game: West Virginia Tech Edition

Foul Trouble

West Virginia Tech aggressive defense led to 16-team fouls to end the first half. WV Tech found themselves in the double bonus before the ten-minute mark. Toledo ended the first half with seven team fouls, three having been from junior guard Jonathan Williams. The Golden Bears ended the game with a total of 26 team fouls. The Rockets didn’t get away with physical play either. Toledo ended the game with 17-team fouls committed.

Sanford catches fire

Toledo Rockets freshman guard Jaelan Sanford was a three-point machine. Sanford was officially 4-4 behind the three-point mark and 5-5 unofficially with a three going in after a called foul away from the ball. He didn’t stop there- it seemed that Sanford was not going to miss after starting the game 6-6. He finished his debut night 8-10 from the field and 6-8 from beyond the arch. With 22 points and 30 minutes played, Sanford looks to be fitting in well with this Toledo team.

Williams’ early struggle

Junior guard Jonathan Williams could not be found in the first half. Williams struggled on all aspects of the game. He was 0-4 from the field, 2-4 on his free throws, and committed three fouls just the first half. Going into the locker room, it was not looking good for Williams. However, he regrouped and lit up at the second half starting with back-to-back baskets. Williams would not stop there. He ended the half 5-8, giving him a total of 15 points on the day.

Sharing the wealth

Every player that saw more than five minutes of game minutes scored for the Rockets. UT received help from their bench with 19 points. All seven freshman on the roster saw minutes on the court. In addition to bench players, four starters scored 15 points or more. The Rocket’s look to ride the hot shooting down the turnpike as they take on Youngstown State on Wednesday Nov. 18.

For the complete game recap of the West Virginia Tech game, check the Wednesday issue of the Independent Collegian.