Waltz into Hogwarts

Ballroom Dance Society brings magic to the University of Toledo

Courtesy of Ballroom Dance Society

Yule Ball attendees dance in the Student Union Ingman Room during Yule Ball in 2012. The event is hosted annually by the UT Ballroom Dance Society. This will be their sixth year.

Rose Serrano and Emily Schnipke

Magic will fill the air as witches and wizards gather together for a wonderful night of dancing.

The University of Toledo’s Ballroom Dance Society will host their sixth-annual philanthropy Yule Ball on Dec. 6. The event will take place in the Student Union Auditorium from 7-11 p.m.

“I encourage everyone to come,” said Carly Beck, BDS president and Yule Ball chair. “It’s a really fun event before finals start to kick in.”

The Yule Ball is based off of an event of the same name that occurs in the Harry Potter series written by J.K. Rowling. Guests that attend the dance will be split up into the four different houses of Hogwarts (Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Slytherin) and will have the chance to participate in mini-competitions and games to help their “house” win the House Cup.

Kaylan Patterson, BDS Treasurer, said there are benefits to buying a ticket early.

“The advantage to buying your ticket ahead of time is that you are able to choose your own house, whereas at the door you are randomly sorted,” Patterson said. “Throughout the night there are different activities to earn points for your house and of course the house with the most points at the end of the night wins.”

The dance is a formal dress event, but Beck says people have dressed up as Harry Potter characters before.

“Some guys wear a tuxedo and then some people dress up as Harry Potter,” Beck said. “It’s just for fun and it’s what people want to dress up as.”

The society also has its members learn a choreographed dance which that they perform during the night. Although it is a ballroom dance event, no experience is needed to enjoy the night.

“The majority of people who come probably don’t know how to ballroom dance,” Beck said.

The Ballroom Dance Society worked to make this year’s event family friendly and open to staff, students and community members. Tickets can be purchased in the Student Union from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. until Dec. 4 or at the door. Tickets are $8 per person or $12 for a couple. All proceeds from the dance will benefit the Boys and Girls Club of Toledo.