UT takes the ship

Toledo rolled to an 80-61 victory over VCU in Sunday’s ASU Classic championship game

Photo Courtesy of UT Athletics

Senior Brenae Harris splits a trio of Arizona defenders on her way to the basket. Harris took home MVP honors after averaging 30 points a game in the Arizona State Classic.

Justice Sunderland, Sports Reporter

The Toledo women’s basketball team won the Arizona State University Classic with a 88-75 victory over Virginia Commonwealth.

Senior captain Brenae Harris was named tournament MVP. She averaged 30 points and 4.5 assist over the two days. Joining her on the all-tournament team was sophomore Janice Monakana.

The Rockets (2-6) opened up the tournament on Saturday with their first win of the season in an 88-75 victory over Columbia.

Senior captain Brenae Harris exploded into action for a career-high 39 points which ranks third most in school history. Harris dished out four assists and grabbed six rebounds. Also in double-digits for the Rockets was senior Ana Capotosto with 15 points, junior Sophie Reecher with 14 and sophomore Jay-Ann Bravo-Harriot contributing 12.

“My teammates did a great job getting me open,” Harris said. “We shared the ball and executed the offense.”

Columbia was paced by Camile Zimmerman and Emily Surloff with 25 and 17 points respectively.

UT started off the game trading buckets with the Bears and trailed by one after the first quarter. That would be the largest lead of the night for Columbia. Toledo battled back to a seven point lead early in the second period.

After being tied at 29-29 with over three minutes remaining in the half, both teams traded baskets until the Rockets claimed a one-point lead going into the locker room.

“I truly believe it’s just a confidence thing,” Capotosto said.

UT would come out scorching hot from the field in the second half, hitting their first five shots. Harris got the troops going with two early layups as the lead grew to nine.

The senior leader was unstoppable in the third quarter tallying 12 points to give the Rockets a six-point lead going into the final 10 minutes of play.

“Brenae has been great,” said Head Coach Tricia Cullop. “This weekend she really showed what she can do.”

Columbia would make a fourth-quarter push and cut the margin to as small as two points, but Toledo would eventually take control and hold on for a 13-point win.

Harris scored 12 of the team’s final 13 points to shut the door on the Lions.

“Sophie set me great screens,” Harris said. “Without my teammates none of that would be possible.”

The next day, UT defeated VCU 80-61 to win the tournament championship. The Rockets continued their hot shooting finishing at 49 percent on field goals and 84 percent from the charity stripe.

“That first win under our belt really gave us confidence that we have the right pieces,” Harris said.

Junior Janice Monakana led the way for the Rockets with a season-high 24 points while grabbing 6 rebounds and 4 steals. Harris was also effective again with 21 points 5 assists and 3 rebounds.

Toledo also got solid contributions from Capotosto with 16 points, seven boards and three assists and Bravo-Harriott added 15 points and three assists.

UT came out firing, hitting six of their first eight shots building and early seven-point lead. Bravo-Harriott would score seven first quarter points. The Rockets held a commanding 30-9 lead after 10 minutes of play.

“We just have to believe in our ability; we have a lot of talent on this team,” Capotosto said.

VCU made a 16-5 run to bring the game back within 12 points before halftime. Chadarryl Clay would spark the Rams run with 11 points during the stretch.

Monakana and the Rockets were unstoppable early in the second half. She rattled off nine points in the quarter helping UT to a 23-point lead heading into the fourth quarter.

“I’m very proud of the two wins and I think it gave us the shot of confidence we needed,” Cullop said. “I’m excited about the rest of the season. We have a good group and they’re beginning to gel. We’re ready to play our best basketball.”

The midnight blue and gold return to Savage Arena on Saturday, Dec. 12 to take on the Cleveland State Vikings.