UT student in recovery

Incident at party leaves a cross country runner covered in severe burns and in critical condition

Jessica Harker, News Editor

After an assault that left her severely burned at an off-campus party Friday night, University of Toledo student Janelle Noe, 20, was in critical condition as of Jan. 19.
One of the people attending the party sprayed 180-proof alcohol onto a candle, which ignited and caused the flame to spread onto Noe, according to the Toledo Police Department report filed by Noe’s parents.
After arriving at Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center, police were told Noe’s injuries covered approximately 50 percent of her body.
The officers went back to the party, hosted at 4142 Dorchester Drive in Toledo, after talking to the victim’s family. They found the house empty, although they could see numerous bottles of alcohol through a living room window.
Noe is a junior majoring in pre-physical therapy and is a member of the cross country and track teams. Noe has a cross-country scholarship, which UT spokesperson Meghan Cunningham said is not in jeopardy.

Janelle Noe, 20, the victim of the assault and a third year student majoring in pre-physical therapy.

Photo courtesy of UT athletics
“The university is aware of the incident and has reached out to the family for support,” Cunningham wrote in an email interview. She added that the university’s thoughts are with Noe and her family, but UT is respecting their privacy at this time.
A page on GoFundMe, a crowdsourcing website, has been set up to help Noe and her family pay for medical expenses, and has updates on Noe’s condition posted by her mother.
The summary of the page says Noe will need plastic surgery and skin grafts; $17,368 was raised as of Tuesday night with a goal of $30,000.
One update stated that Noe “was able to use a fork to eat some fruit as well as a couple spoons of mashed potatoes,” and that she is continually working towards recovery.
“The doctor was optimistic that she might be up and running perhaps in a month,” read one update. “Janelle loves to run so this will be great news for her. Her being in great shape has really helped her in her healing process.”
To receive updates on Noe’s condition and express your support, visit www.gofundme.com/8pjjudhb.