OU proves to be too much

Rockets fall 77-57 to Ohio on Saturday

Justice Sunderland, Sports Reporter

Toledo women’s basketball team was defeated by Mid-American Conference East division leader Ohio 77-57 on Saturday at the eighth annual Rockets for a cure day at Savage Arena.

Head coach Tricia Cullop pledged to donate $25 to breast cancer research for every free throw UT made. Toledo finished 14 of 24 from the line.

The loss brings UT to 13-10 on the season and 8-4 in the MAC which is tied for the second best record in the MAC West division.

Sophomore Jay-Ann Bravo-Harriott paced UT with 13 points and grabbing 6 rebounds. Right behind her in double figures was freshman Kaayla McIntyre with 12 points.

Senior Brenae Harris struggled on the night shooting just 4-of-14 on the night from the field. The guard finished with nine points and six rebounds.

The Bobcats (19-4 11-1 MAC) was led by Kiyana Black who tied a MAC game record with 10 three pointers on her way to 38 points. Lexie Baldwin and Yamonie Jenkins both chipped in scoring 16 and 14 points respectively.

OU knocked down 15 three pointers and shot 36.6 percent from beyond the arch.

Ohio’s defense was stifling forcing the Rockets to turn the ball over 18 times leading to 19 points off of turnovers. Quiera Lampkins was the main culprit coming away with five steals for OU.

Black started the tone early dropping down a three in the opening seconds of the game.

Bravo-Harriott started off hot for UT with five quick points including a three pointer to give Toledo a 5-3 lead early in the first quarter.

Black knocked down another trey to put OU up 14-8 with four minutes left in the opening quarter. Freshman Halee Printz drained a three of her own to shrink the Bobcats lead to three but Black knocked down two more threes to give Ohio a 20-13 lead at the end of the first quarter. She accounted for OU’s last 11 points.

UT cut the lead to as small as four in the second quarter after a Bravo-Harriot jumper with 7 minutes left to go in the half. But from there the Bobcats went on a 15-0 run to go up 38-21 with just over two and a half minutes left in the half.

Ohio went in the locker room up 42-24.

The Bobcats opened up the second half with a quick trey by Baldwin. Toledo cut the lead to 15 after a McIntyre layup but wouldn’t get any closer for the rest of the night. Ohio led by as many as 23 points in the third quarter and finished the period up 66-44 after a Jenkins trey with time expiring.

Toledo managed to outscore OU in the final quarter 13-11 but it was to little to late as the Bobcats went on to win by 20.

The Rockets return to the court when they travel I-75 to face Bowling Green on Wednesday. The game can be seen on ESPN 3 and BCSN.