Rockets finish weekend perfect

Photo Courtesy of UT Athletics

Junior Stjepan Sisko follows through with a forehand shot.

Keith Boggs, Sports Reporter

The University of Toledo men’s tennis team had a successful home outing this weekend, winning all three matches against their opponents.

The Rockets first defeated Detroit on Friday by a score of 4-3, then proceeded to beat Aquinas College 7-0 and Wayne State 6-1 on Saturday’s double header.

The Rockets got off to a quick start against the Titans, with junior Stjepan Sisko and freshman Luka Vitosevic taking the first doubles match by a score of 6-1. Sophomore Omar Espinosa and freshman Juan Carranza followed that up with a quick 6-2 victory of their own.

Toledo was well on their way to a sweep in the doubles competition when the No. 3 double match was called. Freshmen Vince Anzalone and Serjen Olmedo were ahead in the match 5-1 when the officials intervened after Toledo won their first two matches.

In the No. 1 singles Sisko set the tone, winning his match 6-2, 7-6 extending his singles match winning streak to four.

Olmedo also won his set in the No. 5 singles, topping Adam Zychowicz 6-1 in two straight sets.

Unfortunately for the Rockets, they lost their next three matches — played by Espinosa, Vitosevic and sophomore Stephen Miller respectively — and the game was tied at 3 a piece.

With the game on the line, Anzalone faced off against senior Titan Rafael Orantes. The two dramatically split their first two sets 6-4.

In the final set, Anzalone was able to hold off the senior, winning the set 6-2 and giving UT the win.

The Rockets surely would take advantage of that momentum.

Facing off against Aquinas College, Toledo got off to another fast start, again taking the first two doubles points.

Sisko and Vitosevic defeated Gunner Peery and Daymon Johnson 6-4 in the No. 1 doubles.

Olmedo and Anzalone then went on to win their match in the No. 3 doubles slot 6-3 to win the doubles point for Toledo.

Anzalone also won his match in two straight sets with the score of 6-2 in No. 2 singles. Freshman Reid Teatsorth won his match in two straight sets to claim victory in the No. 5 singles slot.

Vitosevic, Espinosa, Miller and Pejovic all needed three sets to claim victory for the Rockets.

The Rockets enjoyed similar success in their evening match against Wayne State University.

Sisko and Vitosevic picked up another doubles victory in the No. 1 doubles slot, winning 6-3. Carranza and Pejovic claimed the No. 3 doubles winning their set 6-2 and capturing the doubles point for UT.

The Rockets then went on to win five of the six singles matches for the day, coasting to a 6-1 victory on the day.

Sisko picked up a win in the No. 1 slot in two straight sets to continue his winning streak to five matches in the No. 1 slot.

Anzalone and Pejovic also only needed two sets to win their matches in the No. 2 and No. 6 singles spot.

Teatsorth was the only Rocket to fall short on the night losing in the three sets (6-4, 3-6, 6-4) in the No. 5 singles.

The two Saturday victories moved Toledo’s record to a respectable 5-5 on the season.

The Rockets will look to keep the winning trend going, as they face Denison college at home on Friday, before going on the road to face Dayton and Wright State on February 21 on the Flyers’ home court.