Man found guilty of University of Toledo student murder dies in custody

IC staff

For the link to the 2010 coverage of the murder click here.

A man convicted of murdering a University of Toledo student in 2010 died after a hanging incident in his prison cell Wednesday, Feb. 17.

Lawrence James, 30, was pronounced dead while in custody at Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center Wednesday night, according to an article by The Blade. The article said James’ death was the result of an apparent suicide attempt according to authorities, but the official cause of death is still pending investigation.

James was in custody serving a life sentence during the time of the incident for the murder of University of Toledo student Casey Bucher in 2010. Bucher was a 22-year-old exercise science major and was walking to his apartment in Kenwood Gardens on July 18, 2010 when he was approached by James who demanded money and cigarettes from him.

After Bucher refused, James then stabbed him once in the chest. At about 8 p.m. Bucher called 911 after being stabbed, and was taken to Toledo Hospital where he died due to his injuries.

After the incident James was arrested in his apartment where he confessed to the police. He then plead guilty and was sentenced to life in prison with eligibility for parole in the year 2026.

James had previously been released from a two-year sentence for a stabbing incident in 2008 before the incident with Bucher occurred.