New organization supports minority journalists

Carl Macaulay, Staff reporter

A University of Toledo chapter of the National Association for Black Journalists was created last semester to educate and empower minority professionals in the media.

“Some people need guidance, everyone isn’t a go-getter, so they need an organization that can culture them and nourish them so when they do graduate, they can get whatever job they want to,” said Lydia Sims, founder and president of the UT chapter of NABJ.

LeAsha Moore, vice president of the chapter, said the group’s goal is to spread awareness for minorities in the field of media and to portray them in a positive light.

“We also want you to grow as a professional. We are going to have workshops, professional development and a family where you can nurture your strengths in a way you can’t get anywhere else,” Sims said.

Sims said finding an adviser was difficult because of the multiple channels the group had to go through. Currently, Willie McKether, special advisor to President Gaber for diversity, is on board as the faculty adviser.

“Our organization was chartered last October — it hasn’t even been a full year. We’re still reaching out to people, getting members,” Moore said.

While the group is just starting out and does not have a definite head count yet, Sims would like the group to mentor their new members and give them guidance in finding internships.

“People always say communications is a closed circle and everyone knows everyone — that is so true,” Sims said.

According to Sims, NABJ helps its members polish up their résumés and cover letters so they have the best chance at securing an internship and will enable members to break into the inner circle at their national conference, which includes networking opportunities and internships.

“Graduating, I don’t want [communication majors] to have the anxiety of what they are going to do, such as, ‘I don’t have an internship,’ this and that,” Sims said.

According to Sims, the NABJ has an organizational website that provides scholarship opportunities, internship listings, access to industry members and also gives members the chance to apply for the national conference. The national organization charges a $40 annual membership fee.

“The chapter will be a place for communication majors as well as others with a passion for journalism to come together and share ideas and help develop each other’s skills through peer review,” Sims said.

1 Comment

• Themistocles Pierre

This is racist.

[Reply]