University of Toledo Board of Trustees approves 2% housing hike in residence hall for fall 2016

Amanda Pitrof, Editor-in-Chief

Students could end up paying up to $185.08 more per year for housing at the University of Toledo starting next academic year. The Board of Trustees approved the 2 percent increase at a Feb. 15 meeting.

One of the goals of the room-rate change is to cover increases in operating expenses, according to the one-slide PowerPoint that was sent to the Board of Trustees for their consideration and eventual approval. The presentation noted that while UT’s housing prices are greater than the average for similar Ohio universities, the tuition and meal plan expenses are less at UT.

“The housing fees provide the resources for the University’s Residence Life operations so that we can offer students on-campus living options with the amenities students want in a safe environment,” wrote Virginia Speight, associate vice president for student affairs and director of Residence Life, in an email interview.

This increased room and board rate followed another recent mandate — students living more than 25 miles away from campus must spend at least two years in on-campus housing — which was announced at the Oct. 20, 2015 Student Government meeting.

Speight wrote that the two decisions were made for different reasons — the 2 percent room rate increase is to cover operating expenses, while the two-year residence policy is an attempt to improve student performance.

“I hope that students recognize the value of living on campus and the services that Residence Life provides to enhance their college experience,” Speight wrote.

However, some are not sold on the new policy.

Cheyann Beam, a second-year biomedical physics major, currently lives in President’s Hall and spent time her freshman year in Parks Tower. While she has scholarship money to pay for tuition and fees, she has had to take out loans to cover her room and board.

“I understand them wanting to increase people living on campus … but it’s already expensive enough,” Beam said.

While she feels this way, she said the extra money would be worth it if housing on campus is improved — she would personally be interested in seeing the Parks Tower elevators being better maintained, updated bathrooms and newer furniture in the residence common rooms.

Resident Assistant Nande Gilbert, a fourth-year interdisciplinary studies major, is concerned about how the room rate increase will affect her residents.

“While some people can find assistance, not all people can, and there are some really good students that don’t have the money to pay for it,” Gilbert said. “I just feel like it’ll be really bad.”

She said she gets to talk to her residents and some of them have talked to her about really struggling to pay for room and board.

“If I know that at least five of the 22 residents that I have on my floor are struggling, just think about how many there are throughout all of the halls,” Gilbert said.

Speight acknowledged that the increase may be a concern for some.

“We understand the cost of attendance is important to students and their families, which is why we announced this decision on housing costs now rather than in the summer so that they could plan ahead for the upcoming school year,” Speight wrote.

Nachiket Thorat, a first-year computer science major who lives in Parks Tower, isn’t worried about the increase. He is among the students who thinks the increase in price is worth it.

As an international student from India, Thorat likes the experience he gets in the dorms where he can meet and talk to local students.

“If I lived off campus, I wouldn’t get that,” he said.

Thorat also said he likes being close to his classes.

“Even if my class is at 9 o’clock and I get up at 8:15, I can still make it on time.”

Speight wrote that students struggling to pay for on-campus housing have options.

“UT works with students to be sure that financial barriers don’t impact their education experience,” she wrote. “A recent example is moving the Student Food Pantry to a more prominent location in the Student Union.”

Alternative ways to handle the cost of room and board are through the waiver process UT has in place which allows students to live off campus during their first two years. Speight suggested that anyone worried about paying for housing should talk to Residence Life.

“I would encourage the student to reach out to us so that we can work with them to help them be successful,” she said.