Under construction: University of Toledo plans to replace Stadium Drive bridge

Cameron Fisk

The bridge on Stadium Drive located near Snyder Memorial is scheduled to be closed from Mar. 7 until Aug. 12 due to reconstruction of the bridge to better accommodate students.

Lauren Gilbert, Copy Editor

The re-construction of the University of Toledo bridge on Stadium Drive will cause road closures beginning Monday, Mar. 7 and lasting through the summer until Friday, Aug. 12.

Right now, a portion of Lot 10 is being utilized as a staging area for the project, according to Jason Toth, associate vice president for facilities and construction.

The David Leigh Root Bridge, also known as the Stadium Drive bridge, is located between Savage Arena and the Student Union. It was originally constructed in 1961, and due to its age and condition, a new bridge will be constructed in the coming months, wrote Toth in an email interview.

“The new bridge will be constructed with six-foot-wide sidewalks on both sides replacing the current 3’-0” walks that cause students to walk in the street when passing one another,” Toth wrote. “The new bridge will also incorporate aesthetics that blend with the Gothic architecture on campus.”

According to UT News, alternate walking and driving routes will still be available throughout the bridge replacement project. In order to redirect traffic, signage will be placed around campus.

Toth wrote that the total project cost is around $2 million, including design and construction fees. The project is funded through local capital reserves, which means it is not funded through State of Ohio Capital, but local money alone.

According to UT News, Lots 5, 6, 10 and 11 will remain open during construction.