This ‘Fashion Affair’ will help you figure out what to wear

Amber Thomas, Associate Community Editor

Do you have an upcoming interview or important business professional event to attend with nothing to wear? “The Fashion Affair” is your place to be. University of Toledo students will be showcasing outfits ranging from party to professional wear from local retailers at Alpha Kappa Psi’s second fashion show on April 20 in the Student Union Auditorium.

“‘The Fashion Affair’ is not a normal type of fashion show on campus; it is unique by itself,” said Kareem Hammuda, a fourth-year double majoring in professional sales and marketing. “We want people to understand what to wear for an interview, a professional night or for a job.”

The show is presented from a partnership between the College of Business and Innovation, Dream Jobs, Owens Corning and Quicken Loans. Doors open at 7 p.m. with food, drinks, music by DJ Scholar and a photo booth as well as tables set up by the sponsors with information about their retailers.

“Last year was our first-annual fashion show, so it was like a start-up to see how it would go,” Hammuda said, who is a director of this year’s show. “We have the same Men’s Wearhouse sponsor, but we also have more sponsors, more surprises and our judges are very well known in the Toledo community and in general.”

Four judges will be deciding the winner for this year’s fashion show. Former Toledo mayor Mike Bell, Men’s Wearhouse store manager Josh Smalley, fashion blogger Kate McComb and Mike Smith, owner of Custom Shop Clothiers, will vote on each category and announce two winners for each gender category.

Thirteen organizations ranging from social fraternities and sororities to clubs will be competing in this year’s fashion show for various prizes.

Each model will select clothing from the sponsors: New York and Company for the women and American Commodore Tuxedo and Men’s Wearhouse for the men.

“Our pieces are classic and formal and yet still modern,” said Christopher Brown, Toledo’s American Commodore Tuxedo store manager. “You’ll see modern styles from modern designers like Michael Kors and Ike Behar.”

The scenes are divided up into four categories: Guys’ Golf, Girls’ Cocktail, Business Casual and Business Professional.

“I’ll be wearing business casual, business professional and also a cocktail dress and I think my outfit will win because it represents me and who I am,” said Halie Ontrop, a second-year double majoring in marketing and human resources participating in this year’s show. “I like to have fun shoes and fun colors and I think my outfits will really stand out.”

The winners will receive a $50 gift card to each of the different retail sponsors.

In addition to that, the organization that has the best attendance will be awarded $100 to donate to their philanthropy of choice.

Not only is this a fashion show that showcases different elements to develop professional attire, it is also a fundraiser. Five percent of the proceeds will go to Alpha Kappa Psi’s philanthropy, the Multiple Sclerosis Society, and $100 will be donated to the Cherry Street Mission.

Alpha Kappa Psi plans for this event to be a time of giving and gaining.

“I hope that the people that come to the fashion show and learn professional ways to dress for guys and girls,” said Elli Twietmeyer, a second-year double majoring in marketing and professional sales and a director of the fashion show. “Since there are 18 models with different styles, they can learn how to mix it up a little bit.”

Pre-sale tickets are $7 and available at Ask Rocky. At the door, tickets can be purchased for $10.

For questions or ticket information, visit Ask Rocky at the Student Union Office 2525 or contact Elli Twietmeyer at 419-349-4325 or email: [email protected]