Rockets fall in final game

Western Michigan holds on to Undefeated season and advances to the MAC championship game

Savannah Joslin /IC

Sam Williams, Sports Editor

The Rockets headed to Kalamazoo, Michigan to take on the undefeated Western Michigan Broncos in a battle for the MAC West, and a bid for the MAC championship game. Unfortunately for Toledo, the Broncos completed their undefeated season in a convincing fashion, beating the Rockets by a score of 55-35. “It is what it is, no one’s gonna wake up tomorrow and feel sorry for Toledo, so we’re not either.” said Toledo head coach Jason Candle. “We’re gonna get to work and get prepared for whoever we play in the bowl game, and hopefully get a win.” This win marks a remarkable win for Western Michigan and their head coach PJ Fleck, who managed to only win a single game in his first year as head coach of the Broncos in 2013.
The first quarter of the game was a sign of things to come. After selecting to return, the Rockets took the field and immediately intercepted on fourth-year quarterback Logan Woodside’s first pass attempt of the game. The interception was returned all the way back for a Touchdown, making the score 7-0 in the favor of the Broncos only 12 seconds into the game. The Rocket’s rebounded quickly, marching 75 yards down the field in only six plays to tie the score with a touchdown pass from Woodside to fourth-year tight end Michael Roberts, who had a spectacular three touchdowns on the night. The Broncos answered with a 13 play, 81 yard drive that kept Toledo’s offense off the field, and gave Western a 14-7 lead over the Rockets.
The Broncos continued to roll through the second quarter, and scored one minute into the quarter with a 23-field goal by Butch Hampton, making the score 17-7. Toledo responded with a 38-yard touchdown run from fourth-year running back
Kareem Hunt. Hunt rushed for a season high 200 yards, and had another 73 receiving yards on three catches. Both teams were stopped on fourth down on their next drives, but Western managed to squeeze in one more touchdown drive before the half, making the score 24-14.

Western started the second half with the ball, and advanced down the field 76 yards in 12 plays to extend the lead 31-14. Toledo took the field, but was forced to punt, putting the ball back in Western Michigan possession.
The Broncos took advantage of this, and scored on a 27 yard run to widen the gap even more, making the score 38-14. WMU forced another turnover on the next possession when Woodside was sacked. The Broncos recovered on the nine-yard line, and quickly scored again, making the lead an almost unreachable 45-14. Toledo finally responded, when Roberts caught his second touchdown of the game, cutting the score to 45-21.
WMU responded with a 23 yard field goal, and then the Toledo offense returned with another Roberts touchdown, trimming the lead to 48-28. With only eight minutes left in the game, both teams continued to power forward. The Broncos scored on a seven-yard pass with 1:41 remaining, and Toledo used that final minute to score their final touchdown, bringing the final score to 55-35.
With this win, WMU will advance to the MAC championship game, and the Rockets will await bowl invitations, which will be released on Sunday, December 9th. “It’s all about the seniors now and sending them out right.” said fourth-year quarterback Logan Woodside. “We want to get a back to back tenth win for them, and for the seniors to go out one more time and play in a bowl game and get a win.”