The Phantom of the Opera

Areeba Shah, Staff Reporter

Over 140 million people in 35 different countries and in 166 cities around the world have heard the sounds of The Phantom of the Opera, and it has finally come to make its debut in Toledo.

Performed by a cast and orchestra of 52 members, with iconic songs like “Music of the Night,” “All I Ask Of You,” and “Masquerade,” this production is one that fans of all ages can enjoy.

Katie Travis, who plays Christine Daaé, encourages fans to come watch the show.

Born and raised in Bay City, Michigan, Katie drove with her parents to Toronto to see The Phantom of the Opera at just four years old, which was her very first show. Instantly, she fell in love with the music and was easily drawn to the story. From there, it became her dream to become a part of the show, which has now turned into a reality.

“For the first time in 29 years, they’ve taken a new approach at the story that everyone knows and loves,” Travis said. “This production is a little bit more relatable and more realistic. It’s a young woman trying to figure out a person who she wants to date and where her career is going.”

Inspired by a hauntingly beautiful love story, Andrew Lloyd Webber translated French writer Gaston Leroux’s novel into a musical of the same name. The musical takes place in 1911, inside the Paris Opera House where the phantom, a disfigured musical genius falls in love with a young but very talented soprano, Christine Daaé.

Performer Derrick Davis describes his experience playing the Phantom as amazing, a dream come true and overwhelming on so many levels.

“Joining a company of such kind, loving and accepting individuals that work together to make a beautiful, beautiful product is just a bit of heaven on earth,” Davis said.

Not only did the rehearsals for the show last as long as five weeks, but the process of building the chandelier was also hectic and took a total of four weeks. Davis believes that the reason why the show has stood the test of time is because the character of the Phantom is so relatable to each and every person.

He suggests that one thing we can all learn from his character is that “as humans, we often overexaggerate our differences and that really at our core there are so many things that are similar that unite us.” The Phantom of the Opera has won the 1986 Olivier award, along with seven 1988 Tony Awards, including best musical, best actor and actress featured in a musical.The show will be presented in the Stranahan Theater from December 7-11. For more information and specific showtimes, please visit www.stranahantheater.o